Smoke-free zones at the University of Ottawa
Smoke Free Main Campus
The University of Ottawa has expanded its smoke-free zones.
Smoking is not permitted at the following areas:
- University buildings
- covered locations
- tunnels, parking garages, lobbies, stairways and food service patios
- within nine metres of any building entrance or exit, air intake or patio
- sports fields, facilities and surfaces, including public areas within 20 metres of the sports fields, facilities and surfaces
- open communal areas, including the Tabaret lawn and patio, and University Square
- child care facilities and public areas within 20 metres of a child care facility
- the entire Alta Vista Campus, including Roger Guindon Hall, and 600 and 850 Peter Morand
What else is new?
- New signage will identify smoke-free areas on campus. Examples are shown here
- The ashtrays are being replaced and the new design will help to identify smoke-free areas and to keep the surroundings cleaner
- There are now two websites with information on smoking cessation programs for both staff and students. Please visit them for more information on how you can quit smoking
Please help us all respect the environment and each other. Please do not smoke in the smoke-free areas and please use the designated receptacles to dispose of your cigarette.
Smoke Free Alta Vista Campus
In compliance with the Smoke-Free Ontario Act, the outdoor grounds of the Alta Vista Campus – which includes the outdoor areas surrounding Roger Guindon Hall and the buildings located at 600 and 850 Peter Morand – are designated as completely smoke-free (as of January 1, 2018).
The use of tobacco products (including smokeless tobacco, e-cigarettes, etc.) by any individual including employees, students and visitors is not permitted on the grounds of the campus. This includes areas that are more than 9 meters away from buildings.
New signs have been installed throughout the hospital grounds. Smoking in previous smoking zones is not permitted (as of January 1, 2018). Smoking will be permitted along Smyth Road.
Protection Services will be enforcing this policy at the University of Ottawa. Individuals who wish to report non-compliance with this requirement occurring on University property may contact Protection Services at extension 5499. Non-compliance occurring on the grounds of the Ottawa Hospital may be reported to the City of Ottawa.
Please help us all respect the environment and each other by complying with this law. For more information, please consult the available resources or contact the Office of Risk Management.