Spill Response Procedure
For major spills (> 100 times exception quantity, or contamination of personnel, or release of volatile),immediately inform ORM.
- Notify all individuals in the immediate area that a spill has occurred.
- Increase distance from the spill. If the spill is severe, this may require evacuating the area.
- If evacuation is required, lock and sign door. The warning sign should include your name, as well as a location of spill and time of return.
- Limit access to only those individual responding to the spill.
- If personal contamination has occurred, gently wash skin with a mild soap and tepid water.
- If personal (skin) contamination has occurred, immediately contact ORM
If safe to do:
- Contain the spill with absorbent material (paper towels).
- Obtain any additional supplies and/or personal protective equipment (overalls, shoes)
- Push spill toward its centre. Clean from outside to inside. Collect all contaminated material in one appropriately labelled bag
- Decontaminate area with appropriate solutions (keep in mind biological or chemical
If fixed contamination above twice background remains, contact the ORM. Leaving the scene after cleaning up:
- Monitor self (especially feet, hands and lab coat) for contamination.
- Leave lab coat behind if contaminated. Remove and take dosimetry badge to avoid erroneous readings.