1.  What is the Policy?

A- The University of Ottawa has mandated Clinical Placement Risk Management (CPRM) requirements for all students doing clinical placements.

B- The agencies receiving you for your clinical placement have reserved the right to refuse access to students who do not meet their immunization/testing and other requirements.

C- The Office of Risk Management (ORM), working with the Faculties, has the responsibility of ensuring that each student complies with the requirements.

D- Failure to submit a signed and correctly completed records to this Office by the deadlines may result in late fees and/or eventually to the de-registration from clinical courses/internships.

2.  What if I object to having immunizations/testing done on  personal or  philosophical grounds?

The immunization policies follow the OHA/OMA surveillance protocols for Ontario hospitals. Personal or philosophical grounds for objection to being immunized or tested is not an acceptable reason for exemption from these policies. If you do not meet, or object to meeting, the immunization/testing requirements as outlined, the agency will be informed and will decide if you have access to their agency for placement purposes. This may affect your ability to complete clinical requirements of the program for which you have applied.

3.  Are there any exceptions to the immunization/testing  requirements?

It is recognized that some individuals may be unable to comply with these immunization guidelines for medical reasons (e.g. pregnancy, breastfeeding, allergies, or previous reactions). A medical exemption signed by a physician must be provided.

4.  How do I complete a Clinical Placement Requirements Records' (CPRR) form?

Read the instructions of the CPRR form found on the ORM website. It is strongly recommended that applicants make an appointment with a healthcare professional as soon as possible upon receiving their admission documents. Some vaccines require several doses and/or serology reports, for which results can take several weeks. Also, during the summer months, appointments may be more difficult to schedule. Make sure to attach copies of serology reports, a chest x-ray report and any other supporting documents, as applicable.

5.  Where can I get my immunization records?

Immunization histories may be available from parent records, hospital/physician visits, public health records or school records. If you attended elementary or secondary school in Ottawa, you may contact the City of Ottawa’s Public Health at 613-580-6744 ext. 24108 or send an e-mail to: immunization@ottawa.ca  Personal or parental verbal reports of vaccines or history of illness are not accepted as evidence of immunity. Most immunizations can be safely restarted according to appropriate scheduled guidelines. Upon completion of the immunization form, keep a copy for yourself. You may need it again in the future.

6.  What if  my immunization records  are  not available?

If no record is available, then the attesting health care provider will not have a medical record in order to confirm a history of clinical infection or vaccination. Serology, in this case, is required to show proof of immunity. If serology shows no immunity, then vaccination is required.

7.  Where can I get immunizations/testing done?

  • Your family physician
  • Most walk-in clinics
  • Rural provincial public health units (by appointment only)
  • The University of Ottawa Health Services located at 300-100 Marie-Curie Street (613-564-3950)
  • Pembroke Health Services office
  • Special Clinics may be offered to you at your placement agency and through Health Services (deadlines must be considered according to your program of study).

8.  What do immunizations/testing cost?

A physician may charge a form completion fee. Some vaccines are also not covered by Health Care Insurance. Students are responsible for all costs.

9.  Where do I send the completed immunization record/form? To whom do I direct my questions about immunizations?

     Please refer to the table of contacts on the main CPRM page.

10.  What is a primary series ?

A primary series is usually received during early childhood. For example, it may have included Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis and Polio, known as DPT-P.

11.  What if the PROOF for the tetanus-diphtheria-polio primary series is unavailable?

Adult primary series of 3 doses must be completed.

12.  I was born before 1970 and it is assumed that I had measles. Is this sufficient proof that I am immune to this disease ?

Serologic testing is the sure way to verify your immunity.

13.  What are the differences between the terms Measles, German  Measles and Red Measles? Do they refer to the same disease?

Measles and Red Measles are, in fact, the same disease. It is also known as Rubeola. The term German Measles refers to Rubella disease.

14.  Why is pre-immunization serologic testing for Hepatitis B surface  Antigen and Antibody necessary?

This testing will identify those already infected or immune, for whom vaccine will confer no benefit. Testing will also assist in the medical management and contact follow-up of those individuals found to be already infected, and will prevent the mistaken belief that they pose no risk to others.

15.  The Health Care Provider and/or the laboratory have refused to conduct surface antigen serology. What happens now?

You will need to make an appointment with the University of Ottawa Health Services (300-100 Marie-Curie, 613-564-3950) or with Health Services Algonquin College (1 College Way, room 127, Pembroke, Ontario, 613-735-4700 ext. 2748), where the physicians are more familiar with the requirements of the Faculty of Health Sciences and Faculty of Medicine. You may also contact your Clinical Placement Risk Management Team member (CPRMT). See question 9 for their contact details.

16.  Where I come from, it is not routine to conduct TB (TST) testing. Can I have a  chest x-ray done instead of the TB (TST) screening?

No, you can be tested for TB once you arrive on campus. You will need to make an appointment with the University of Ottawa’s Health Services, located at 300-100 Marie-Curie, 613-564-3950, or with Pembroke Health Services where the physicians are more familiar with the requirements of the Faculties.

17.  When should I receive the Flu vaccine?

You must receive the most current vaccine for the Flu season (for example: if you start your studies in September, you will receive the vaccine in November; If you start your studies in January, you must receive the vaccine prior to admission). The vaccine is manufactured on an annual basis to provide protection against the predicted strains of flu viruses for the flu season. The University of Ottawa Health Services will be offering an Influenza vaccine clinic at the Health Sciences pavilion (Roger Guindon Hall) and at the Pembroke campus in early Fall.

Return to the main CPRM page.

Back to top