CPR is an annual requirement and can vary, depending on your program of study. Please refer to your program requirements and deadlines.
Your certification must remain valid at all times, annual renewal is required regardless of the expiry date listed on your certification card.
Heart and Stroke Foundation (HSF) Basic Life Support (BLS) Provider course ONLY. This course is formerly called the BLS for Health Care Providers (HCP).
Full certification and renewal courses can be obtained through the:
- Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada (HSF–BLS Provider), or
- Centre for Innovative Education and Simulation in Nursing (CIESN) (HSF–BLS Provider). Click here for further information.
HEALTH SCIENCES STUDENTS
You need to complete an annual CPR level HCP/BLS (Health Care Provider/Basic Life Support). If your certification is more than one year old prior to the start of the academic year, it is no longer valid.
Courses are offered through:
- City of Ottawa Paramedic Service courses (Health Care Provider (HCP) CPR C and Automated External Defibrillation (AED) certification);
- Centre for Innovative Education and Simulation in Nursing (CIESN) (HSF–BLS provider). Click here for further information; or
- Any of the following national organizations: Canadian Red Cross, St. John Ambulance, Lifesaving Society or Canadian Ski Patrol all of which follow the same CPR guidelines. Check their websites for a location near you.
PLEASE NOTE: CPR-HCP certification course must cover all of the following: skills and theory for adults, children and infants, including one and two rescuers, bag-valve mask (BVM) and automated external defibrillator (AED). If your certification does not cover all these topics, it is not valid.
ALSO NOTE: Online training certifications are NOT acceptable.
If you need to complete an annual CPR-HCP/BLS AND Standard First Aid course (valid 3 years), please refer to the list of WSIB-approved providers.
You must email proof of your CPR certification to the Clinical Placement Risk Management (CPRM) nurse for your program (CPRM Contacts page).
Return to the main CPRM page.